|Bulls vs Blazers|
|European Mega Drive cover|
|Platform(s)||Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, Super NES|
The game could be played in various ways: players could play against each other, or against the computer. Games against the computer were divided into two levels, "exhibition" or "playoffs". Players could pick from one of the 16 teams that had gone to the playoffs in the NBA the year before the game was released. Games could be configured for 2, 5, 8 or 12 minute quarters.
- It was the first EA basketball game to feature self in-game advertisements of the company's logo "EA Sports".
- It was the first time custom fiction teams could be made. You could create fantasy matchups such as Drexler vs. Drexler. Or create an entire team roster duplicating the same player 12 times.
- Lakers versus Celtics (1989)
- Bulls vs. Lakers (1991)
- Team USA Basketball (1992)
- NBA Showdown 94 (1994)
- NBA Live series (1995 to Present)